One of the larger fescues this is a valuable grazing grass which can also be made into hay. Recent thinking has altered the Latin so that the flat leaved fescues (meadow fescue and tall fescue) have been given their own genus, separate from the finer leaved fescues.
It also grows well on poorer soils, some evidence suggests that on low fertility areas without nitrogen fertiliser, it can out yield perennial ryegrass.
A perennial species
It can be grazed by livestock. Its wide leaves make it a useful hay meadow grass.
Very winter hardy.
In low fertility situations its has a comparable yield to perennial ryegrass
Sowing Rate Advice
12 - 14kg per acre / 30 - 35kg/ha
Ideal Sowing Time
This species combines very well with Timothy for a traditional long lasting upland or hay ley.
This non ryegrass species should not be over grazed, allowing an interval for recovery between grazing's. The grass it produces is highly acceptable to grazing stock providing it is kept leafy. It can also be cut, especially for hay, and the best quality hay or silage will come from swards which are cut before heading.
The seed is thin and narrow, with a papery, beige colour. It has a smooth texture and is 6mm in length.
Bright green in colour. The leaf blades are ribbed on the upper side and more glossy on the underside. The leaves clasp the stem by long sheaths. The plant has a barely discernible ligule (1mm) and small auricles clasping the stem. The spikelets within the panicle are tinged with reddish / brown. It can reach 40 - 80 cm in height.
Flowers June - July. Average seeds per kg - 500 000.
Works well withMeadow fescue can be combined with Timothy for a Long Lasting Upland Ley
You can find Meadow Fescue in the following mixtures
- Long Lasting Upland Dual Purpose Mix
- Long Lasting Upland Dual Purpose Mix 50% ORGANIC
- Traditional Hay Maker - Long Term Hay Ley
- Traditional Hay Maker - Long Term Hay Ley - 50% ORGANIC
- ‘LAMINS’ Drought Resistant Four Year Grazing Ley Dry, Light Land
- ‘LAMINS’ Drought Resistant Four Year Grazing Ley 50% ORGANIC
- Wetland Dual Purpose Long Term Mixture
- Wetland Dual Purpose Long Term Mixture 50% Organic
- Herbal Grazing Ley - for Medium and Clay Soil
- Herbal Grazing Ley - for Medium and Clay Soil - 50% ORGANIC
- 'HERBAL' Grazing Ley - Four Year Drought Resistant Ley
- ‘HERBAL’ Dual Purpose Four Year Ley 50% ORGANIC
- Simple Herbal Ley - Four year Grazing/Cutting/AD Ley
- Simple Herbal Ley - Four Year Grazing/Cutting/AD Ley 50% ORGANIC
- Herbal AD Mix for Heavy Soils 4 Year Ley
- Recreating Grassland
- Recreating Grassland 50% ORGANIC
- Buffer Strip Grass Margin Mix Two, Four or Six Plus Metre
- Buffer Strip Grass Margin Mix 50% ORGANIC
- Solar Park Long Term Grazing Mixture
- Solar Park Long Term Grazing Mix 50% Organic
- Solar Park Permanent Grassland - Low Maintenance
- Solar Park Permanent Grassland - Low Maintenance 50% Organic
- EK21 Legume and Herb Rich Sward (Whole field option GS4)
- Legume and Herb Rich Sward (Whole Field Option) 50% Organic
- Standard Horse Pasture - Long Term Grazing & Hay
- Standard Horse Pasture - Long Term Grazing & Hay - 50% ORGANIC
- Equine Pasture Mix - Long Term No Ryegrass
- Equine Pasture Mix - Long Term No Ryegrass - 50% ORGANIC
- Natural Pony Paddock - with Herbs & No Ryegrass
- Natural Pony Paddock - 50% ORGANIC
- Llama & Alpaca Paddock
- Llama & Alpaca Paddock 50% ORGANIC
- Retired or Rehabilitation Horse Grazing
- Final Trimester High Nutrient Boost - Strip Grazing
- Weanling & Youngstock Grazing
- Weanling & Youngstock Grazing 50% ORGANIC
- Worming Paddock Mixture
- Worming Paddock Mixture 50% Organic
- Rabbit Run Mixture
- Rabbit Run Mixture 50% ORGANIC
- Grass Companion Option for Sainfoin & Lucerne
- Sainfoin & Lucerne Grass Companion 50% ORGANIC