Yarrow is a small seeded forage herb which is commonly mixed with sheep's parsley, burnet and ribgrass to increase diversity and lift trace elements from deep within the soil profile, as a specific herbs mixture, or part of a diverse grass ley. It has been noted to improve circulation and blood flow in livestock.
Used as part of a diverse grazing sward.
A perennial species.
It has been noted for many years as benefitting the health of livestock. It also has a deep root system which helps it stay green in drought conditions.
Tolerant to frost.
Sowing Rate Advice
1kg per acre / 2.5kg per ha.
Not usually sown as a pure stand.
Mixture Sowing Rate Advice
0.05 - 0.1kgs per acre / 0.125 - 0.25kgs per ha.
This is a particularly minute seed, so a low inclusion in mixtures is necessary.
Ideal Sowing Time
Sow from April to Late August.
Caution should be exercised when sowing this species as the seeds are very small (millions of seeds per kg) and yarrow can be quite invasive if not managed or grazed regularly.
A very small seed, almost flat seed. It is oblong and slightly wider at one end, tapering to a blunt point. It has a silver colour, with a white outer margin running around the edge of seed. It has a shiny surface texture. The seed is less than 1mm in length.
The seedling produces two thin and narrow cotyledons, before going on to produce the characteristic feathery, blunt tipped true leaves.
A upright and sturdy plant, rich green in colour and sometimes downy. The leaves are feathery and very finely divided. The umbel shaped flower heads are most commonly white, but also sometimes pink in colour. It has a slightly stoloniferous, creeping base and several deep taproots.
Flowers from May to July.
Works well withYarrow is a small seeded forage herb which is commonly mixed with plantain, sheep's parsley, burnet and ribgrass in a complex herbal ley. Yarrow's deep roots lift trace elements from deep within the soil profile, pulling them up from depth and making them available to the grazing animal.
You can find Yarrow in the following mixtures
- Herbs Mixture
- Herbal Over-Seeding Mixture - Deep Rooting Herbal Ley
- Herbal Over-Seeding Mixture 70% Organic
- 'HERBAL' Grazing Ley - Four Year Drought Resistant Ley
- ‘HERBAL’ Grazing Four Year Ley 70% ORGANIC
- ‘LAMINS’ Drought Resistant Four Year Grazing Ley Dry, Light Land
- ‘LAMINS’ Drought Resistant Four Year Grazing Ley 70% ORGANIC
- GS4 Legume & Herb Rich Sward
- Legume and Herb Rich Sward (Whole Field Option) 70% Organic
- Herbal AD Mix 4 Year Ley
- Natural Pony Paddock - with Herbs & No Ryegrass
- Natural Pony Paddock - 70% ORGANIC
- Weanling & Youngstock Grazing
- Weanling & Youngstock Grazing 70% ORGANIC
- Final Trimester High Nutrient Boost - Strip Grazing
- Llama & Alpaca Paddock
- Llama & Alpaca Paddock 70% ORGANIC