Sheeps parsley is a common forage herb, usually mixed with ribgrass, yarrow and burnet to increase diversity and lift trace elements from deep within the soil profile. It can be mixed with regular grassland species to increase grazing diversity.
Usually used as part of a diverse grazing sward.
A perennial species
Sheeps parsley can be grown as part of a mixed sward, it is known to be high in iron and vitamins A & C. It is also noted that it enhances fertility in breeding stock. It also has a well developed taproot, which is good for improving drought tolerance and soil conditioning.
Sowing Rate Advice
4kg per acre / 10kg per ha.
Not usually sown as a pure stand.
Mixture Sowing Rate Advice
0.1 - 0.25kg acre / 0.25 - 0.625kg per ha.
A small sized seed, so small inclusions will still show up at a robust rate in the sward.
Ideal Sowing Time
Generally sown from Spring to Autumn.
This species is less tolerant of prolonged grazing and heavy trampling, grazing management is key to ensure the species persists in the sward.
The seed is pear shaped, being wider at one end to the other and tapering to a blunt point. It looks similar to an orange segment, with noticeable raised, white veins running from end to end. The colour is dark, varying from brown to black. It is approximately 3mm in length.
A pale green to rich green colour. The leaves are a typical parsley shape, known as deltoid or triangular in shape. The inflorescence is usually white or whitish yellow in colour. It forms a taproot and grows from a low crown.
Flowers from late June to September
Works well withSheeps parsley is usually mixed with ribgrass, yarrow and burnet to increase diversity and lift trace elements.
You can find Sheeps Parsley in the following mixtures
- Herbs Mixture
- Herbal Over-Seeding Mixture - Deep Rooting Herbal Ley
- Herbal Over-Seeding Mixture 50% Organic
- 'HERBAL' Grazing Ley - Four Year Drought Resistant Ley
- ‘HERBAL’ Dual Purpose Four Year Ley 50% ORGANIC
- ‘LAMINS’ Drought Resistant Four Year Grazing Ley Dry, Light Land
- ‘LAMINS’ Drought Resistant Four Year Grazing Ley 50% ORGANIC
- EK21 Legume and Herb Rich Sward (Whole field option GS4)
- Legume and Herb Rich Sward (Whole Field Option) 50% Organic
- Natural Pony Paddock - with Herbs & No Ryegrass
- Natural Pony Paddock - 50% ORGANIC
- Final Trimester High Nutrient Boost - Strip Grazing
- Weanling & Youngstock Grazing
- Weanling & Youngstock Grazing 50% ORGANIC
- Broodmare Grazing
- Llama & Alpaca Paddock
- Llama & Alpaca Paddock 50% ORGANIC